Monday, July 23, 2012

Glad about Gladiolus

Gladiolus is a genus of perennial bulbous flowering plants in the iris family .It is sometimes called the 'Sword lily', but usually by its generic name.

I never had an idea about gladiolus until my cousin who lives in Bangalore gave me few bulbs to plant . Now after some research i remember seeing this in some flower bouquet shops . This is supposed to be a major cut flower used in flower arrangements .

I generally had an opinion that such exotic flowers requires a chill climate like that of Bangalore , so i really hesitated to plant this , however i want to give it a try .
Next thing , i totally forgot about it and a week later when i observed , i was surprised to see the shoots coming up rapidly .

Now am so curious for two reasons .
1. If they start blooming i can grow them more in my Chennai garden .
2 . I would know what color this bulb is only after it blooms .

Now this is how it looks in my garden .....Planted a week back .

    

2 comments:

ushasoman said...

gladioli in chennai wow did not think that was possible!

Premlatha said...

just trying .....yet to see it bloom !!!

Post a Comment